ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) in partnership with Global Peace Development (GPD) and Beacon Youth Initiative (BYI), as part of efforts towards supporting communities to strengthen community resilience and to tackle violent extremism in Nigeria but with a specific focus on Nasarawa State is implementing the “System and Structure Strengthening Approach against Radicalization to Violent Extremism (SARVE II) Project in Nasarawa State” with the aims of equipping communities with sustainable ability, capacity and structures to utilize available resources to prevent radicalization, respond to, withstand and overcome impact of adverse violent extremism should it occur.
On this premise, ActionAid Nigeria, Global Peace Development and Beacon Youth Initiative conducted its annual women summit with the theme, I am Generation Equality; realizing women’s rights with focus on preventing violent extremism, and mitigating domestic violence.
The women summit was held on 21st of July, 2020 featured participants across SARVE II project Intervention Communities, Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, Women Associations and the office of the First lady, Nasarawa state.
Creating Gender Equal World; The Political Dimension I am Generation equality, Realizing Women’s Right through Inclusive participation.
Essentially, women were enlightened and cautioned on the danger of underage hawking, negligence and lack of concern for families.
• The commissioner for Women Affairs calls for the need to empower women in the state. She lamented that most of them are economically and educationally backward compared to male counterpart. She stressed that supporting women is like supporting the whole family.
• There was a call from various speakers to rigorously tackle sexual violence against women and children so that the perpetrators will not go unpunished.
• Speakers from ActionAid Nigeria and Global Peace Development called for enactment of VAPP prohibition Law in the state. That will help in punishing perpetrators of violence, particularly to women and children.
• Testimonies from Women and Girls Safe Space detailing on SARVE II project has positively changed their life economically and socially.
• The first lady has called to give more room for women inclusion and participation governance and decision making in family and community affairs